The China Desk was set up in 2010 to facilitate Chinese companies doing business in the Netherlands.
Thanks to, among others, its geographical location, international environment, tax climate and logistic infrastructure, the Netherlands is one of the countries in Europe most favoured by Chinese companies to set up their businesses there.
Chinese companies have been steadily expanding and are becoming increasingly competitive. As such, these Chinese companies will expand internationally to position themselves in a global economic playing-field. Heussen recognizes the strength of these Chinese companies and strongly believes in the investment potential in the Netherlands.
We are a medium sized firm with about 20 lawyers. We provide legal advice to domestic clients as well as international clients wishing to set up business in the Netherlands — these clients include to a large extent Asian (mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese) companies.
Heussen’s founding partners have all worked for large traditional Dutch firms and have extensive practice experience. Due to our international focus we have been growing steadily since our establishment and our efforts have already gained recognition by organizations such as Chambers and Legal 500.
Our China desk experience includes:
- Assisting various Chinese companies with the setting up of their business operations in the Netherlands, including negotiating various transactions with business partners and authorities on their behalf.
- Assisting Chinese clients with employment law matters, including advising on structuring, employment agreements and preparing employee handbooks.
- Acting on behalf of a Beijing based Chinese company in negotiating and setting up a joint-venture with Dutch partner company.
- Representing a Chinese listed company in the acquisition of a Dutch company in connection with the expansion of the activities of the Chinese company in Europe.
- Assisting Chinese financial institutions as well as Chinese borrowers in financing transactions related to European investments.